A potted history of our Club.
In 1926 a group of non-playing members of Kibworth Cricket Club, namely George Gamble, Jack Bowns, Harry, Tom and Vic Illiffe and Theodore Adkinson held preliminary discussions which resulted in the formation of Kibworth Bowling Club.
George Matock, a local farmer and owner of the land, gave permission for the top court of the defunct tennis club in the corner of the cricket field to be used. The following year the official opening of the club took place with Mrs Barnes performing the opening ceremony. Workers from the local hosiery factory, Johnson and Barnes, made up most of the membership.
The first matches were played against Sketchley Dye Works, Clarks of Basford, Nottingham and Johnson and Barnes'. The three rinks originally constructed soon became inadequate and members set about preparing ground for a fourth rink which was laid by En Tout Cas of Syston.
By 1930 the club was well established and fixtures were made with other clubs such as Earls Barton, Oadby, Lutterworth, Old Bilton, Managers and Formen (later to become Spinney Hill Park Bowling club), Fleckney, Countesthorpe, Anstey and Medbourne.
A Ladies section formed in 1932 closed down and was successfully re-launched in1947. By this time the club was flourishing and a fifth rink was created, a pavillion built, hedges layered and flower borders laid, all work done and monies raised by members.
Throughout the 39-45 war years, due to their more mature years, not many members were called up and the club continued to flourish although with rationing travel was a problem and members walked, cycled or went by train to away matches as far away as Old Bilton B.C. in Rugby.
In 1953 the land, having changed ownership several times, was owned by Mrs Briggs who sold a portion of field 41 for the building of the fire station and in 1954, for the sum of £300 raised by members and fundraising, the land at the rear to the bowling club.
Facilities at the club were constantly improved over the next few years with a new clubhouse being built but due to the shortcomings of the green the club looked into the possibility of moving to a site which would allow for a six rink green.
In 1987 a suitable site was found but negotiations fell through and it wasn't until 2002 that an agreement was reached with Silverdale Developments Ltd. to purchase the land and build the club which was completed by spring 2004 and which we now occupy. The building was officially opened by our local member of parliament, Mr Edward Garnier MP.QC, on 16th January 2004 and the first match was played in April 2004.
Club Members in 1939.
In 2017 additions and improvements to the clubs facilities have continued with the recent erection of a New Pavilion, which provides a Mens home team changing room; an Arbour and the dedication of two new seats, given in memory of John and Rosemary Barnes by their daughters, Leslie, Valerie and Shirley.The Club is indebted to its loyal and generous members who have donated money and their services to enable these improvements to be made.